Thursday, March 13, 2014

An update on my super-hot Chillies

Last year, I posted about some chilli seeds I bought, and then I germinated a bunch of them under grow lights for this season.

I also purchased some super-hot seedlings from a local store.

In the last few weeks these chillies have started to produce pods, ranging from sweet and mild to blistering hot!

Using some of my fataliis' I made a mango and peach chillie sauce yesterday, which I will put up in a separate post.

Here are some pics;

Fatalii


My fataliis', used in my container-mix experiment are producing heaps of beautiful bright yellow pods. I took a chance, and ate a whole fatalii and was greeted by the unmistakable smell of capsaicum, the compound that gives chillies their heat. As I chewed this chilli pepper, I did not taste the citrus flavour these chillies are meant to have, instead I was hit with an immediate, powerful heat. It was quite intense, and lasted about 10 minutes.



Moruga Scorpion

My moruga scorpion is producing a good number of pods. I have the plant in a large 50L pot, and it has become quite bushy and lush.


The pods on this plant look wicked and cruel. As of last year the moruga scorpion was the hottest chillie pepper in the world with measurements taken about 2 million scoville units, right about the strength of pepper spray. Hot.


I was silly enough to try a small slice of one of these peppers raw. It is so ridiculously hot, I am labeling one of the most painful experiences of my life. The searing heat lasted about 20 minutes, building hotter and hotter for the first 10 minutes before slowly tapering off. 

The small sliver of chillie I tried outdid the pain of an entire fatalii pepper by a good margin. After eating, I could feel the chillie sitting in my stomach and moving through my gut, a burning ember for the next 12 hours. It will a lot of convincing for me to ever consider eating one of these raw again!

My Moruga Scorpion Test Sample - HOT!

Chocolate Habanero 

My chocolate Hab is growing nicely, it is a small bush with a good number of growing pods. I actually have two of these.

I haven't tasted the habanero raw, but used half of it to flavour a dish, where it imparted a nice mild level of heat to 1kg of mince.

 

Peter's Pepper

I have not yet had any ripe chillies from my Peter's Pepper, named after the unique manly shape the chillies grow. I intend to overwinter this plant, and have it in a large pot where it has grown bushy and lush.



Bhut Jolokia

I have both a red and yellow Bhut Jolokia in containers. The yellow has begun to ripen some pods, however I am still waiting on the red.


Unripe Red Bhut Jolokia

Jalapeno 

My Jalapeno is a bit of a let-down. It is from the nursery, and whilst it is growing well, it has no heat whatsoever. 


Yellow 7 Pot


I haven't yet tasted my 7 pot, which is just now ripening its pods.

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nahtan,
    Your chilli plants look amazing... well done..
    Im having a crack at growing chillies myself here in Canberra and as Im sure you know cold temps are approaching.... Im wondering if you have plans for your plants over winter.... if you are going to try and keep them going or 'over wintering' via some technique. I was going to try a small polytunnel and prune some right back... this being my first year with chillies and a little nervous and hoping to hear if you have a good solution for the Canberra winter??
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam, where were you from before Canberra?

      I am going to overwinter some of my plants in the garage under a 200W HPS and some CFLs, I also have a number of heat mats which should ensure their survival.. I don't know that a polytunnel will be enough protection from our winter, especially if we get a couple of really cold mornings in a row..

      In a pinch I would consider overwintering in the bathroom, they might drop some leaves, but would likely survive.

      Delete
    2. Hey Nathan,
      I was living in Wagga Wagga prior to Canberra. Similar weather conditions, but like I said I have never grown chillies before so this is a first for me.
      My plants arnt that awesome... I have a lot to learn but am enjoying growing them...
      Yeah I thought the poly tunnel might not cut it... but I was hoping if I cut them right back to stems basically (go dormant) and kept them in there some might make it through the winter... unfortunately I dont have a lot of spare room in my house to put the plants...
      Other people have said if you do the cut back thing and keep them protected from the frost they should be right... like next to a wall of the house... but I think it will be hit and miss...

      Delete
  2. Hey Nathan, I've also been growing similar strains as well as the Carolina reaper. I noticed that on your marouga scorpion it has some white dots on the leaves. My Scorpion varieties have this also. It doesn't seem to effect growth or fruits but I am curious as to what it is. Also for Adam, last year I put a plastic cover over my plants after giving them a heavy prune and no go bro. The cold deathly chill of a Canberra winter rendered them permanently dormant. Gonna dig em out of the garden this coming cold snap, pot them up and baby them indoors. A friend had success with this technique a few seasons past. Then drop them back in the ground late spring. Here's hoping. Getting a bit jack of growing single season insane peppers. Matt.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Posts