Thursday, March 14, 2013

Peas and Caterpillars!



Peas!

On the first weekend of March I planted some peas as an Autumn crop. I originally bought 3 heirloom varieties, Greenfeast, Telephone and SugarAnn. I was very worried after I planted them as the day afterwards began an extended heatwave with temperatures at about 30oC every day.

Peas enjoy a cooler temperature for germination, around 23-26oC and so I tucked them up under a bush by the wall of the house that only gets morning sun, and crossed my fingers.

Happily, on Tuesday morning I could see the first of the peas had come through, and today with the approach of cooler weather I have moved them out into their growing location. I planted two of my three varieties, SugarAnn and Telephone. Of these the telephone are climbers, while the SugarAnn is a bush type.

I planted these seeds in a soil-less mix, and have had exceptionally good germination rates, despite the hot days we have been having.


 


Caterpillars!

Over the past few week I have been observing some caterpillars that have taken up residence on my young orange tree. Normally caterpillars receive an immediate eviction notice, and are out of my garden, however these caterpillars are the larvae of the Citrus Swallowtail Butterfly,and so I allowed two to remain, to munch away in peace.

This butterfly is much larger than the usual butterflies seen fluttering around the garden, and are quite magnificent to watch. Although I couldn't snap a good picture of these butterflies myself, Google has helped me out (source Wikipedia);


Apart from their beauty, there are some very unique things about these caterpillars, that convinced me to allow a select two to remain on my orange, despite all the leaves the consume!

Firstly, these caterpillars begin life looking quite, well, poopy. That is to say they look like little bird droppings on leaves. This is a method of camouflage, and quite interesting, as they bare quite the resemblance!

After the caterpillars age, they take on a new colour and look, and become slightly more reminiscent of the butterflies they will someday be! Below are a few pictures of these caterpillars at different life stages.

                   



                     

Since these photos, I have lost the large green caterpillar, possibly to birds or wasps, but the second is growing and will soon take his place, and hopefully begin to prepare for the pupae stage of his lifestyle.

Although these caterpillars lose their bird-poo camouflage as they mature this doesn't mean they are totally defenceless. In these final pictures of my last caterpillar you can see where I have aggravated him a little, and from his head emerge two red antenna-like structures. These red organs produce an offputting, bitter smell to deter predators, and serve as the last line of defence before being eaten.

If this little guy survives I will provide updates on his progress to butterfly-hood. For reference purposes, I think I shall name him Sammy. Sammy the caterpillar.

Peaceful-Sammy


Angry-Sammy




2 comments:

Latest Posts